Saturday, November 17, 2012

Jessica Gets the New Bedroom

I told Georgia Girl that I would whisper the next time I showed something I got from the doll show.  So I am whispering throughout this entire post.  Maybe she won't hear me.  One of my $5 deals was the Teen Skipper Sleep 'n Study.  It came out in 1988.  I had never seen it before.  The box had all the pieces, plus a few extras.  Part of the set is discolored.  If I paint this set, I will probably keep it the same color.  I will add more bedding and possibly a thin mattress.

"Jessica, please get ready for bed."  (Mom, calling from the next room)
"Okay mom."
After shooting this first picture, I decided Jessica should model a couple of the pieces I got at the doll show.  After all, there are still 70 more pieces that haven't been photographed.

I didn't realize I had two pieces of pjs that were a matching pair.  Who knew?

So let's take a quick tour of her room in progress, before she has to go to bed.  The wallpaper is scrapbook paper I pinned to foamcore to see if I liked it.  Initially I thought the pattern was too big.  It is, but by the time I finished the pictures, it had grown on me.  So it's probably staying unless I run across something I like better.

This is Jessica's work area.  All the pieces can be interchanged or removed.  The set was designed to have the bed on one side of the grid, and the study area on the backside.

I gave Jessica two workspaces.  The desk she is sitting in front of has another purpose we will see later.  

The second workspace can be used as a desk...

...or a little drafting table.

She can open it and store supplies.

I put together this little nightstand with the telephone.

I didn't know what the yellow grid was for, at the time.  So I hung it on the wall.

Jessica loves her little bed tray.  She doesn't get to use it often since mom and dad rarely allow her to have food in her room.

Here's a closer look. There's a tv, a mirror, a set of books, two shelves, cute little hooks, a couple of overhead lights, a pencil case, and another storage case.


Jessica is enjoying her music a little before turning in.

Here are a couple of pictures of the front and back of the box.

I do have all the other pieces you see here. 

Here you can see how they have the bed nestled into the grid.


Oh, that's what that other desk thing is for.

After looking at the box again, I figured out what the grid on the wall was for.  I had another one and was able to make a free standing desk...

....or a freestanding beauty table.

I then moved the bed to the other side to see if I liked it.

With the additional space, I added a wardrobe.  Doing this made me think, with a couple of small changes, someone else could use this room, too.

Teenager Christina was all too happy to volunteer.

I will make it a little more sophisticated for her.  This white desk is too big, but I will make one that is more suited to the space.  They are both happy with their new room.



26 comments:

  1. Jessica's bedroom is adorable and was a well-spent $5. I love everything, especially the built-in desk and the vanity. Too cute!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG - The possibilities are many with this bedroom. I am very pleased with it. Since posting this, I've been adding items and playing with it even more. Jessica's hoping Nikaya and Nicole can come visit soon.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on getting this neat doll setting. I like Jessica's new room. The wallpaper reminds me of some my Mom had years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana - Thanks! Being the doll expert that you are, had you ever seen this set before?

      Delete
  3. What a cute and handy little thing! Man, I miss this kind of quality thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verona - This was the perfect set for Jessica. You can tell she's a little spoiled and would all these amenities in her room.

      Delete
  4. 5 dollars all that???? Definitely you should whisper this post! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rossetti - Yes, it was quite a steal. (still whispering)

      Delete
  5. oh this is a neat set. Do you have the skipper bunkbeds that are in that ghastly yellow? I found them cheap and the set you have reminded me of them- they are from the 70's though. This is a neat little set! congrats on your find at the doll show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - I have never seen the Skipper bunkbeds. There are a lot of playsets I have never seen.

      Delete
  6. Please don't feel like you have to whisper about your doll show finds. I really enjoy seeing neat clothes and play sets that I didn't know existed.

    Looking forward to the other 70 outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. limbe dolls - I have the cutest kid 70's outfit. I was hoping Zahara could wear it, but it's a little long. I hope I find someone who can fit it.

      Delete
  7. Another great buy Vanessa! Wow, you had to have left a very happy camper. Lol on the whispering...I still heard you. Lol! I am happy that you got so many great deals. Thanks for sharing, these are items that I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl - You weren't supposed to see this post. LOL!

      Delete
  8. What a great bedroom setting - hope Jessica didn't get into trouble for rearranging her bedroom while getting ready for bed. Seriously, it will be fun to see this bedroom in all its different incarnations as part of many other doll's bedrooms. I'm sure you will well and truly get more than $5 worth out of this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrickters - Jessica was able to get everything back in place before mom and dad came to tuck her in.

      Delete
  9. All this stuff you bought at the doll show is making me jealous! I wish I had the Skipper playset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sisilovessinging - It really is a neat set. I'm looking forward to using it lots of different ways.

      Delete
  10. This bedroom is beautiful and very ince:))) I like the Jessica's bed especaially. It's lovely !!!
    You've done a great shopping.
    Greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marille - Thanks! We are all pleased with this new set.

      Delete
  11. This set is giving me ideas. I like the functionality of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Matty - Isn't it wonderful. It's the perfect pre-teen room.

      Delete
  13. Hello from Spain: Jessica´s room is lovely. I really like his bed and her quilt. The drawing board is very real. I had not seen before this furniture. I like the desk and closet. I see that you really like the decor. Did you do white desk??? It seems real. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta - Thanks. Doesn't seem like too many people have seen this set, either. I did make the white desk last year. I've used it in a few other dioramas. I need to make a slightly smaller one for Christina.

      Delete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...