Monday, December 16, 2013

Lovin' The Mixis

Emerald and Rosa, the Mixis ladies arrived today.  I love them more than I thought I would.  It's nice to have a doll with some meat on her bones.  Both ladies are more gorgeous in person than in the pictures I saw.  The quality of vinyl used is topnotch.  The accessories are high quality.

This is Emerald in her box.  She came with a history card that I will print at the end of the post.  In person I actually like Emerald even more than Rosa.  This is the limited edition Emerald, that has articulated arms and click knees.

Here is Rosa in her box.  She's from the first edition.  She's not articulated, but I wanted this outfit.  There is a limited edition Rosa with articulated arms.  I was surprised to see that the first edition doll came with an extra pair of shoes.



Here's Emerald out of her box.  The dress is much prettier in person than I imagined.  


The purse actually has a zipper.

She can stand on her own

A closer look at her shoes.  I haven't tried them on other dolls to see who can wear them.

Here is Rosa out of her box.  I don't have her little hat on correctly.

The boots have zippers, and the backpack purse is made very well.  

Here the ladies are chatting.  I put my newest kid with Rosa, just to try it out.  I'm not sure that he will stay with her.  Unfortunately, I will have to find Rosa another body.  I may get her a female action figure body, so she keeps a little size to her.

As I mentioned above, each doll came with a card explaining their history.

Emerald Okada:   Heritage - Black American/Native American and Japanese.  Her parents met in college where they both majored in music.  Her dad is a music producer and her mom is a classical violinist.  Her dad's father was a civil rights activist who even marched with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  To keep the tradition alive, her dad constantly reminds her to never take her freedom for granted.  On the other hand, her mom enjoys role playing to teach her about her Japanese culture.

Rosa Dominguez Katz:  Heritage - Latin and Jewish.  She was born in Los Angeles, CA.  She lives with her parents, her younger brother and sister.  At 13 she had her Bat Mitzvah and at 15 she had her Quinceanera .  You can say she came of age, twice.  Her family came from Mexico, and some as far away as Israel to celebrate with her.

36 comments:

  1. Thank you for so detailed photos. Shoes of Rosa are so great! Now I want those dolls even more, haha :) Rosa looks very interesting, Emeralds eyes are a bit too slanted I think, but otherwise interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jewel snake - You're welcome. They are really nice dolls. I think it was Emerald's eyes that really endeared me to her.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping to see them in person at our meeting. I like their outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the dolls were so beautiful I was tempted to go in search and buy mode, I have to say their stories impressed me the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandmommy - I am quite pleased with this purchase. The ladies are lovely in person.

      Delete
  4. wow these girls have a lot of diversity in the heritages which is really nice. I love their clothes and i think they will be a wonderful edition to your town

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these dolls are beautiful, Vanessa. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a while to warm up to Emerald and Houda, with Houda taking the longest to arrive here. They are all part of my personal collection now and should make wonderful characters in your stories. Congratulations on your two.

    I have 3 versions of Opal. Of the dolls, Rosa is my favorite.

    The dolls are accurately proportioned. Their clothing is extremely well made, with zippers, lining, and what you'd expect on playscale versions of real clothing. The dolls can usually stand without the aid of a doll stand. While they are not fully articulated (the final version has articulated elbows), I still like them and would not ever consider re-body-ing.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG - I never thought I would own a Mixis. None of the pictures I've seen of them ever made me want to buy them. I always liked Rosa, even in the pictures. The dolls really are much better in person, and I'm happy to have them.

      Unfortunately, unarticulated dolls can't function well in my storylines, so it's either rebody Rosa, or not show her very often.

      Delete
    2. Roxanne successfully rebodied her Opal. Just a reminder ;-) So that your Rosa can join in on the fun.

      Delete
  7. Ms. Leo - What meeting? The outfits are even nicer in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. william - Each of the ladies have very interesting mixed heritages. They have a few outfits and patterns available on their site. I may buy a few in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from Spain: beautiful dolls. In my country they are not for sale. I like their outfits. They are very racial. Can they wear Barbie's clothes?? Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta - They are even more beautiful in person. They all have very diverse backgrounds, and that makes them very unique. They may be able to wear some of the larger Barbie clothes. I'm not sure yet. They definitely, can not wear any of the Barbie Basic or other slender Barbie clothes.

      Delete
  10. Wow, thank you for sharing. I love these dolls and wish I could afford to have them shipped to me in England. You took great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve - Thanks. Ah, you live in England. How wonderful. These ladies will be in my storylines, so stay tuned.

      Delete
  11. Wow, they are not only lovely ladies, but also their outfits and accesories are so well finished!!! I love all of them, great purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great purchases Vanessa! I really like the Rosa doll, but I would also have to re-body her since non-articulated dolls don't work very well in my stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi - They have a Rosa doll that is articulated in the arms, but I chose this one for the outfit. The articulated Rosa is wearing a very nice blue and white dress.

      Delete
  13. Vanessa you have gone and made me want to purchase these two dolls. I love Rosa's accessories the backpack is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will the ladies keep their ethnicity? If so, will Emerald join one of your Asian families?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boris - Hola y bienvenidos a mi blog. Gracias por visitar y disfrutar de mis muñecas. Definitivamente voy a visitar tu blog. Muchos abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rossetti - Yes, their clothing and accessories are well made. I'm glad I took the plunge and made the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AG Lanc - I don't think you would be disappointed if you purchased them. The LE dolls are still on sale for $25, reduced from $50. The first editions are on sale for $30. Here is the website. http://store.mixis.com/limited-edition/

    Yes, both dolls will keep their heritage and Emerald will be incorporated somehow with her Asian heritage as well as her African American heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did I miss this article? Never mind - glad to read it and sooo happy that you have the Mixis girls in your collection. Aren't those accessories super? I just LOVE the boots. That zipper ... adorable.

    I love your photos of the girls. Thanks for sharing them. And do you mind if I pin some of your photos here on Pinterest? I ask just in case one day you are NOT cool with that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana - Yes, the accessories are very nicely detailed. The zippered boots are killer. Yes, you are welcome to pin some of the photos to Pinterest. I just ordered one of the outfits and a couple of patterns. Hope to make the dolls some new outfits next year. May sell some on Etsy.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for granting permission, Vanessa. I pinned three of your photos to that board. Best luck with your sales. Will be fun to see your new outfits for the Mixis.

      Delete
  19. I like these new dolls, they´re very different and their outfits are so cute. Wellcome to Morristown!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana - The new Mixis ladies are settling in quite nicely here. Emerald is already dating.

      Delete
  20. Ana - I like them much more in person. Emerald has already connected with one of the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, these are pretty darn nice. I like everything about them, save the limited/non articulation. I especially like the inspired clothing on their website. It all just looks so well made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muff - I'm glad I took a chance with the sale. I had never really thought about adding them to the collection. They are even nicer in person. The clothes and accessories are definitely well made. I just ordered one of the outfits and a couple of patterns.

      Delete
  22. I really like Rosa! She's rocking the urban hip look! ...and she is wearing my fave thing in fashion right now. A beanie. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...