Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Whose Kitchen/Dining Area Is This?

Well, take a few guesses and come back a little later for the story.  This is the same space I used for Darius and Nikki's kitchen and living room.  I love using one area and seeing how many different room configurations I can come up with.  It's the same method I use when creating the different restaurants.  

The rug is just a piece of 12x12 scrapbook paper.  Initially I had the silver and black chairs and the gold mirror.  It wasn't working well together.  Adding the scrapbook paper I bought a few weeks ago, tied the silver and the gold together.

The story topic will be Mother's Day, which is coming up this weekend.  Are you prepared?  I am not.  I have company arriving Friday.  You know what that means.  House cleaning.   Yard cleaning.  Airport pick ups.  Entertaining.   And the list goes on.  So I won't really get back to the reception until they leave on Sunday.  I will continue to post other short stories.   

When it comes to gifts for my mom, it's not an easy thing.  Most of the gifts I've gotten her over the years go completely unused.  Sewing machine, GPS system, etc.  The wooden pen in the picture, is the first pen I made in one of my woodworking sessions.  They are made using a lathe machine.  A lathe machine allows you to turn square blocks of wood into beautiful round pieces.  It is fairly easy to make gorgeous wooden and corian pens, once you get the hang of it.  Chances are you will never make the same pen twice.  The wood grain will be different each time.   So I thought it would be nice to make my mom a pen for Mother's Day.  Maybe this will be something she will use. So this is on my things to do list today. I haven't made my mom's gift in quite some time, so I am looking forward to this.

Have a wonderful day!  Don't forget to come back later for the story.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm ADDICTED to pens... I have tons of them, and love them, and the thought that you can make your own beautiful wooden pens... I'm jealous!

    How could your Mom NOT use such an awesome pen!!! XD
    I wish you luck in your pen making, and I do love the kitchen/dining set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather - Wow, you would love learning how to make pens. It is totally addictive. The beauty is you never know what you will get until the process is almost done. I made two pens yesterday that I will be sharing today, along with the photostory.

      Delete
  2. That is cool Vanessa and awesome gift! I love crated gifts personally. They are usually made with love. I love the room by the way. Will this space be for Danielle and Rod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl - Thanks! Handmade pens are so wonderful. No the space is not for Danielle and Rod.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I don't see any "children" type items around but I could be wrong. Still, I'm going to guess...Halle's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy - Hmmmm....wrong. LOL! It's not Halle's.

      Delete
  4. Its halles i seen those cupboards when she cooked for diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. acrist - No, it's not Halle's. I reuse a lot of my items and make up different rooms.

      Delete
  5. I haven't a clue about the room; it is nicely furnished, however.

    Wow... you can make wooden pens! That is really nice. Everyone can use a pen. I hope your mother likes.

    My mother is difficult to buy things for. Unless she tells me specifically what she wants, I always give her money for every gift-giving occasion. This avoids wounded feelings.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG - I am sure my mom will be touched. The first thing she said when she saw the one I made for myself a few weeks ago..."where's mine?" I didn't know how long it would take me to get around to making her one. I was thinking her birthday (July), or surely by Christmas. So I am happy it will be gifted to her this weekend.

      At least giving my mom the GPS she needed, stopped all the calls to me asking how to get to certain places. She still doesn't use the system, but she knows a call to me will result in the question, "where's that GPS I bought you?" I imagine she calls other folks, or only goes to places she knows. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Ahh mother's day. I'm going to guess...Diego's! Even if it does look a little too nice to be a bachlor pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verona - No, it's not Diego's. The story will be posted first thing this morning.

      Delete
  7. Hello from Spain: sure your mother loves this gift. I love writing pens. I like this kitchen uch. Is it Mattel? I love the colors. I like the white body that has the cup stand, Mattel Do or did you??? I like this layout. I will write ideas. In Spain,Mother's Day was last Sunday, Always held the first Sunday of May. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta - This is not a Mattel kitchen. It is the Kenmore Kitchen set, originally sold about 6-8 yrs ago. I know Kmarts (similar store to Walmart) sold them and maybe Sears, but I am guessing about Sears. They can occasionally be found on ebay, but the prices are astronomical now. I didn't alter the set at all. There is a red and white version out there, too.

      Delete
  8. Oh that's the Kenmore Kitchen ... I was trying to sell mine, but it didn't go. Sigh. Why can't I scalp well? LOL. Glad to see you have one though.

    I'm not sure who it belongs to, but they have good decorating taste.

    That's a lovely gift you have for your Mom.

    And, of course, we'll be back for more stories ;-D. My folks are at the Reception. Old Joe is minding his ps and qs and NOT getting drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana - If I knew then, what I know now, I would have had several Kenmore Kitchens. At one time they were on clearance at Kmart for $11! Yes, your folks at grubbin' at the reception. But Joe is behaving quite well. He still won't look at me. Oh well.

      Delete
  9. I would love to have a pen like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio - After making a couple more yesterday, I may get addicted enough to start selling them. You may want to check in your area for a woodworking group that teaches. If that is something you may be interested in.

      Delete
  10. The pens are lovely. I think you have come up with a new item for your Etsy store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. limbe dolls - Thanks. I made a couple more that I will be showing in today's post. I REALLY enjoy making them. Once i invest in a few more of the tools, I think I will be opening up a new Etsy shop for pens and other cool wood items.

      Delete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...