Saturday, February 9, 2013

Yet Another Great Thrift Store Find!

 After reading Ms. Leo's post about finding African American World PeaceKeepers, at her local Big Lots, I got in my car and headed to my Big Lots to see if I could find any of them.  I planned to visit three Big Lots in my tired state.  Unfortunately, none of them had any.  The third and last Big Lots was the furthest from my house.  After leaving the Big Lots, I saw the sign for the Goodwill and I said, "I'm not stopping."  As I got closer, I said, "Oh it won't hurt to take a quick peek.  I headed to the back and landed in the section where they put the oversized and furniture items.  This large birdcage caught my eye.  It was marked $16.91.  Not interested.  When I looked down, I saw a familiar site.  Another Barbie house.  I am getting good at finding these things without even looking.  I pulled it out and it said $6.56.  Well, I couldn't leave it there at that price, now could I?  So I grabbed it and headed to the toy section.  I did find one other really cool thing that I will show at the end of the post.  Let's look at the house, shall we?

Surprisingly, it's very different than the one I already have.  Which got me thinking, "how many of these houses were made?"  Too tired to check right now, but I will research it later.

This house is blue, not the gaudy pink like my other one.  But the upstairs porch is much larger on my pink one.

The inside is a little different, too.  Even the elevator and how it moves is different.

This one has a really nice fireplace/bookcase and a wall tv.

The bathroom area seems to be missing some pieces.

Here is the kitchen area.  

Here the houses are side-by-side.  I love that they are a little different.  They will make great neighborhood homes.  At first I wasn't going to keep my pink one up, but now that I have the blue one, I think I will decorate them and assign them to families. 


Here you can see how they differ.  



The bedroom in the pink one has a vanity that turns into a tub.


And here is the other cool item I found at the thrift store.
  "THE CLAW"!!!  Toy Story is one of my favorite movies.  If you are not familiar with The Claw, check out Toy Story #1.  Toy Story #4 is in the works.  I can't wait.  So there is an opening in the top so I can add some goodies for my dolls to try to win.



So thanks Ms. Leo.  If I hadn't read your post, I never would have made it to this thrift store.  I forgot to mention the young girl that appeared out of nowhere when I stopped to open and take a look at the house.  I think she thought I was going to put it down and she was ready to pounce.  I also forgot to mention, $6.96 is what I think I paid for the pink house several years ago.  I found that one at another Goodwill in my area.

If you care to see an amazing redo of one of these houses, check out this link to Land of Dolls on Flickr.  This is a link to the finished redo, but there are lots of progress pictures in her photostream, too.









29 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your find! I have a house like the one you just found but mine is purple. I would love to have it in blue too. Morristown is growing by leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. limbe dolls - I'm surprised at how many different versions there are of this house. Pretty soon everyone will have a home in Morristown. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Another great dollhouse. You certainly know how to locate bargains, Vanessa. This makes me want to take a trip to the main Goodwill store.

    I am looking forward to seeing how you decorate the house and which family gets to enjoy it.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG - I don't think I have anything to do with finding these bargains. Not the way I avoid thrift stores. So I think I am directed to the right ones at the right time. It already has new residents. They will be revealed in today's post.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. pattidolls - I like the blue one, but I'm still considering painting the pink one. I just need to figure out a color. Maybe white with black trim.

      Delete
  4. OMG Vanessa! You always find the coolest things when you shop. Congrats on the new house. Speaking of houses, I found my pics of the Barbie mansion I built back in '93 or '94. I hope to post them soon.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi - I think these great finds send me radio waves so that I can find them lickety split. I was in that store all of 30 secs when I located this beauty. I can't wait to see pictures of your Barbie mansion. I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. You are the Queen of the thrift finds! I am so excited for you and even more for me once you get the basement set up as Morristown. I can't wait to have a virtual tour.

    Congrats Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy - Yes I am! I just assigned the new residents. They are super excited. I thought about you when that little girl showed up out the blue. I said what would Tracy do? She would pretend like she didn't see the little girl and keep walking. I actually said hello to her, but she didn't respond.

      Delete
    2. LOL, that's definitely what I would do. I might of even held the house in one arm and with a Heisman Trophy pose...bolted to the register. ;)

      Delete
    3. Tracy - Oh no you didn't! LOL!

      Delete
  6. This is so awesome. I really wish we had such good thrift stores around here. Congrats! And the Claw...oh my god. The aliens are my absolute favorite characters in Toy Story, so the Claw is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alura - I can only imagine what I would find if I was really looking for stuff. There are probably 100 thrift stores within a 20 mile radius of my house. I'm sure there are plenty of great Barbie items just waiting to be found. "The Claw. Take me to your leader." One of the aliens will make an appearance in the next Disney story.

      Delete
  7. Amazing find. If you keep on finding and setting up houses you will soon need to employ an urban planner. You will also have to start publishing maps of the town so we won't get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrickters - I like the idea of an urban planner. I could use some help with this move. The dolls are getting very excited about their new town.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your finds! I love seeing more real estate ... more doll stories!

    Thanks for sharing the news about new PT figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana - Thanks. Yes, it's wonderful to see the PT guys again. I haven't seen them here yet, but they are in your area, so run and get some.

      Delete
  9. The way you sniff out awesome stuff is the same way I sniff out dolls on clearance. We got that special kind of radar, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muff - I honestly don't go looking for these things, because we all know I DON"T NEED ANYMORE doll stuff. But I have to admit, this is a sweet find. It compliments the other house quite nicely. I saw your message about waiting for 20% to get a PT guy. If you see an AA PT guy in the store, you better buy him, or I'm personally coming to FL to have a serious chat with you.

      Delete
  10. Vanessa, this is a great find, also a good project. Remember, you have the pretty wooden furniture( for room decor ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. drupay - I'm more than excited now that I've put the houses together. The wooden furniture is 1:12 scale for my miniature house. I'm sure I have more than enough pieces to decorate these two houses. I may have to make a few items.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Girl!!! Lucky you! I never see anything other than a doll or two or a piece of furniture every now and then. It looks to be in good shape. This makes me regret more and more that I gifted mine just to get it out the garage....sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl - Thanks. After seeing the makeover in the link I posted, I see these homes in a whole new light. I completely understand you gifting yours away. I can't tell you how many times I almost gave the pink one away. It takes up so much room and I knew it would never fit in my former Morristown.

      Delete
  12. Great purchases! The house is perfect for your dios, but you got... THE CLAW!!!! As a Toy Story fan, I understand why you bought it! And they are making 4?? I didn't know it! You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rossetti - Guess what! I just discovered, the other day, THE CLAW actually works. It plays carnival sounds and is fully functional. My bf and I are planning to watch Toy Story soon. He has never seen it. Imagine that. LOL! Nice to meet another fan.

      Delete
  13. WOW! What a score! I love seeing both house up side by side! If only I had the space! I have my Vic. house up for sale. Looking at that Flickr page makes me rethink that. I need a long table too! The Claw Machine...Wow! You are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Leo - What do you mean you have it up for sale? You are always saying you are going to remodel your houses but you always end up selling them. Did you see the post I did, shortly after this one, with the two houses across from each other, with the two families? I'm learning how to work with these small houses.

      Delete
  14. Vanessa, you know I don't have the space that you have. Right now I have the Vic. house, the folding house, the Liv cabin and the High School. I think that is all I can do! :) It is not the Vic. house up for sale it is the Grand Hotel. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...