After reading some of the comments, I felt it was necessary to go back and add some explanations.
1. Danielle was always planning to go see Melanie. Even though Danielle accepted the nice foot massage Rod had to offer, the whole time she was thinking about going to confront Melanie at her office.
2. Even though Rod didn't explain what transpired between he and Melanie, Danielle called and got the full scoop from Antoinette. Rod is not aware of this conversation.
3. Why did Danielle want to confront Melanie? Because she is so fed up with the whole thing! I can tell you from personal experience that this constant back and forth is draining on all parties involved. Danielle has been trying to take the high road, but every once and awhile you have you have to speak a language the other person can understand. Melanie does not speak "high road".
4. In this day and age, when parents and step parents are doing crazy wicked things to their children, she should be happy that her child has a decent stepparent, who loves her in a good way.
5. Bullies only mess with what they consider "weak" people. With Danielle standing up to Melanie, and being the confrontee, this may be the catalyst for change in their relationship.'
6. Melanie is actively dating. That has done nothing to avert her bitterness towards Rod and Danielle. The real "Melanie" actually got married, and still tried to reign terror in my direction.
7. Why is Melanie so bitter? Even after divorcing Rod, she expected that he would be single and at her disposal, should she need him in the future. She has also discovered, that he really was a good husband. She has yet to find anyone as caring and loving. His docile demeanor, she despised when she was married to him, is now something she misses. Bottom line......she would take him back in a heartbeat, given the chance.